IFNET (former IF) was founded in 1986 by a group of librarians, with the goal to establish a national reference point for the automation of library services.
Since then Ifnet has become one of the most important dealers and distributors of software and services for the world of information. It is a limited company from 1988.
Its large customer base covers the Italian world of public, special, academic, corporate libraries and documentation management centres.
Ifnet is staffed with 6 full employees, and several freelance consultants, all specialised in specific fields and capable of handling any information organisation and access need.
These are the products and services Ifnet currently distributes and supports in Italy:
EOSi (Electronic on-line Systems International) “Eos-web library automation software“. For these product and other former products (like T-Series) Ifnet holds the exclusive distributorship for the national territory of Italy, the Vatican and San Marino and has held it since 1985.
OCLC (Online Computer Library Centre), the world’s largest library consortium, providing with access to many services including the world’s largest bibliographic database. The most complete range of library reference services and products. Ifnet represent OCLC since 1992.
CD networking solutions Ifnet offers Net-Man an Europe’s leading product for CD-Rom networking, an open product for the networking of any CD-Rom from any producer. Both bibliographic and multimedia titles can be networked on any kind of network, local, urban and also wide geographic networks including the internet, for this product too Ifnet holds the exclusive distributorship for the national territory of Italy.
Beyond representing these products and companies Ifnet, has a very active branch dealing with advanced projects of data conversion and training, together with a yearly released program of courses, in the library and documentation fields, several projects are delivered each year, these are some of the issues covered:
- Scanning services of any kind of documentation, for the purpose of protection and conversion to digital format.
- Cataloguing services of any kind of item, including ISBD NBM, serials, grey literature, and all conventional formats.
- Thesaurus planning and delivery, many special thesauri have been delivered, including the national Telecom Italia thesaurus, all ISO compliant. Ifnet experience in this field finds has no equal in Italy and is one of the richest for the whole of Europe. Also multilingual thesaurus projects have been delivered and published.
Lexicon an easy-to-use sw for building, updating and managing any kind of thesaurus. A very easy interface, a sw linkable to any other ILS sw.
- Training Program, courses and seminars that cover the whole range of needs for information access and management from basic to advanced level including highly specialised consultancy for Dewey Decimal Classification and Decimal Universal Classification.
- On Demand services include full project management and delivery, and also training courses delivered even at the customer’s premises, tailored, if required, to suit the customer’s needs.